Rights Contact Login For More Details
More About This Title Professional Garde Manger: A Comprehensive Guide to Cold Food Preparation
- Same proven pedagogical features and easy-to-follow recipe layout as Professional Cooking and Professional Baking, including chapter pre-requisites and objectives and key terms.
- Focus on teaching and mastering skills necessary to be successful as a garde manger chef, with reinforcement in practicing recipes provided.
- Sidebars throughout the text present special topics, including The History of... and The Science of... boxes, which add interesting insight and detail
- Over 500 new photographs illustrate by step-by-step processes and techniques and beautifully presented finished dishes
- More than 450 new recipes and over 750 recipe variations combine to offer the most comprehensive selection of recipes encompassing numerous styles and techniques available
- Plating blueprint diagrams accompany many finished dish recipes show how the final presentation is built
- Thoroughly revised and updated, Wiley CulinarE-CompanionTM Recipe Management Software now includes video clips demonstrating basic skills for use as prework or review, and contains all recipes from the book -- and more!
Lou Sackett is a food writer and culinary educator who has written for both local and national culinary publications. Having taught previously at The Restaurant School in Philadelphia, she currently teaches at Dauphin County Technical School in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Jaclyn Pestka is a regionally acclaimed restaurant chef with a specialty in world cuisines. Her tenure as chef instructor at The School of Culinary Arts in York, Pennsylvania led to her work in garde manger and expertise in charcuterie. She is now executive chef of Channels Food Rescue in Central Pennsylvania.
Wayne Gisslen(Consulting Author) is the author of the best-selling series of culinary books that includes Professional Cooking, Professional Baking, Advanced Professional Cooking, and Essentials of Professional Cooking, all published by Wiley. A graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, he has written and worked extensively in the field of culinary arts.
How to Use This Book.
1.The Garde Manger Profession.
The History of Garde Manger.
The Successful Garde Manger Chef.
Opportunities in Garde Manger.
Garde Manger Facilities and Equipment.
2. Sauces and Dressings.
Introduction to Emulsion Sauces.
Classic Mayonnaise Sauces.
Contemporary Mayonnaise-Based Sauces and Dressings.
Cold Sauces Made from Vegetables and Fruits.
3. Simple Salads and Tossed Salads.
Salads Made from Leafy Greens.
Purchasing Salad Greens.
Cleaning, Fabricating, and Storing Salad Greens.
Four Methods of Preparing Simple and Tossed Salads.
4. Cold Vegetables and Fruits.
Vegetables in Garde Manger Work.
Applications for Cold Vegetables.
Fruits in Garde Manger Work.
Applications for Fruits and Fruit Dishes.
Purchasing, Storing, and Managing Produce.
Preparing Vegetables for Raw Service.
Cooking Vegetables and Fruits.
5. Complex Salads.
Understanding Complex Salads.
Understanding Arranged Salads.
6. Cold Seafood.
Understanding Seafood Classifications.
Types of Cold Seafood Dishes.
Cooking Methods for Cold Seafood.
Seafood Served Raw.
Raw Shellfish Specialties.
7. Cold Meats.
Applications for Cold Meats.
Preparing Cold Meat Products.
Raw Meat Dishes.
8. Cold Soups.
Understanding Cold Soups.
Preparing Cold Soups.
9. Garde Manger Sandwiches.
The Four Basic Sandwich Elements.
Types of Sandwiches.
Sandwich Procedures and Recipes.
10. Cold Hors d’Oeuvres.
Understanding Hors d’Oeuvres.
Types of Hors d’Oeuvres.
Presenting Hors d’Oeuvres.
Serving Hors d’Oeuvres.
11. Cured and Smoked Foods.
Ingredients for Cured Foods.
Introduction to Smoked Foods.
Equipment for Smoking.
The Smoking Procedures.
Foods Preserved in Fat.
The Anatomy of a Sausage.
Types of Sausages.
Equipment for Sausage Making.
The Four Phases of Sausage Production.
13. Pâtés, Terrines, and Charcuterie Specialties.
Pâtés and Terrines.
Equipment for Pâté Production.
Preparing Pâtés and Terrines.
Galantines, Ballottines, and Pâté Roulades.
Storing and Presenting Pâtés.
14. Cheese and Other Dairy Products.
Fresh Dairy Products.
Fermented Dairy Products.
Introduction to Mousselines.
Understanding Mousseline Forcemeats.
Ingredients for Mousselines.
Preparing Mousseline Forcemeats.
16. Aspic and Chaud-Froid.
The Challenge of Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
Surface Décor for Aspic and Chaud-Froid Work.
17. Condiments, Embellishments, and Décor.
18. Buffets and Food Bars.
Appendix: Basic Preparations.
Authors Lou Sackett and Jaclyn Pestka are releasing their 780-page book at the just the right time. Many restaurants now emphasize super-fresh local ingredients and artisan-quality small plate offerings. Both require more careful handling of ingredients and crafting of artful presentations, but less actual cooking, than was the case even a few years ago. Cheese boards, shellfish towers and charcuterie plates are just a few of the no-cook items that have become fixtures on many contemporary menus.
These three topics are covered extensively in this impressively comprehensive book. There's plenty of old-school garde manger fare, too: an entire chapter is devoted to aspic and chaud-froid work, and there's one just for mousselines. But don't worry. While the term garde manger may conjure up visions of stilted 1970s continental cuisine, this book's contents are right in step with the culinary times.
There are 375 recipes in all. But the greater value may come from the book's serious tone. The textbook-like approach lets whoever holds the position in your kitchen know that their work is indeed important and can be done much better than it's being done now.
Garde manger work will never be sexy. But this book gives you an easy way to upgrade the quality of the food that comes out of the cold food station in your kitchen. These days, that can mean a lot. (Restaurant-Hospitality.com)