Rights Contact Login For More Details
More About This Title Essentials of Medical Genomics, Second Edition
- Six new chapters on vital topics of interest such as multilocus SNP genotyping (SNP chips), RNAi, ChIP-chip, and genomic tiling arrays
- New edition responds to reviewers' and users' desire for greater coverage—now the most useful handbook on the market!
- Practical, concise summary of everything about genomics and emerging technologies a busy physician or medical student should know
- Covers concepts and techniques that are in use in medicine now, as well as those on the cutting-edge of science relevant to medicine, from bioinformatics to DNA diagnostics and proteomics
- NEW: Includes chapter-end exercises, enhancing the utility of the new edition as a textbook
- NEW: PowerPoint slides of images available at instructor website
STUART M. BROWN, PhD, is on the faculty of the New York University School of Medicine, where he is Associate Professor and Director of the Bioinfor-matics Core Facility and Director of the graduate Bioinformatics course.
1Introduction to Molecular Genetics.
The Principles of Inheritance.
Genes Are Made of DNA.
The Central Dogma.
2Molecular Biology Technology.
Cut, Copy, and Paste.
DNA Cloning Is Copying.
PCR Is Cloning without the Bacteria.
Human Genetic Diseases.
A System for Naming Genes.
Model Organisms (Comparative Genomics).
Sequencing Other Genomes.
Patterns and Tools.
5Human Genetic Variation.
The HapMap Project.
Research Uses of SNP Markers.
Ethnicity and Genome Diversity.
6Genetic Testing for the Practitioner(Harry Ostrer).
Clinical Applications of Genetic Testing.
Methods of Genetic Testing.
Adequacy of Genetic Testing.
7Gene Therapy(John G. Hay).
Strategies of Gene Therapy.
DNA Elements for Gene Expression.
Gene Delivery Systems.
Targeting Gene Delivery.
Formative Years and Initial Clinical Approaches.
Spotting versus Synthesis on the Chip.
Other Types of Arrays.
Differential Gene Expression.
Error and Reliability.
9Analysis of Microarray Data.
Data Analysis Workflow.
10Pharmacogenomics and Toxicogenomics.
Toxicogenomics for Drug Development.
11Clinical Research Informatics.
Clinical Trials Management.
Data Standards and Ontologies.
Application to Medical Practice.
12RNA Interference and MicroRNAs.
Medical Applications of Alternative Splicing.
14Genome Tiling Chips.
Whole-Genome Transcription Profilig.
Understanding Cancer Genomics.
Copy Number Mutations.
Gene Expression Signatures.
Cancer Genome Atlas.
17Consumer Genomics and Genealogy.
18The Ethics of Medical Genomics.
Human Genome Diversity Project and Population Genetics.
Impact on Physicians and Researchers.
Appendix: Genetic Testing: Scientific Background for Policymakers (Amanda K. Sarata).