Rights Contact Login For More Details
More About This Title Clinical Skills for Nurses
Specifically designed for student nurses, Clinical Skills for Nurses provides a handy, portable introduction to both the knowledge and practical procedures that first year nursing students require. Giving you the knowledge behind the skill, this book will boost your confidence and competence for your clinical placements and time in the clinical skills lab.
Clinical Skills for Nurses covers the skills and procedures used most frequently in clinical practice, and includes Point of Care training; blood transfusion and tracheotomy care; continence and bowel care; and early patient assessment and response. This book uniquely incorporates words of wisdom and advice from real-life student nurses; in other words: developed by students, for students!
- Tips, advice and words of wisdom from real-life students included throughout
- Pocket sized for portability on your clinical placement
- Clear, straightforward, and jargon-free
- Ties in with the NMC standards for pre-registration education and the Essential Skills Clusters
- Examples and questions based on real life nursing & healthcare examples
Claire Boyd is a Practice Development Trainer at North Bristol NHS Trust, Bristol, UK.
1 PERFORMING OBSERVATIONS 1
2 MALE URETHRAL CATHETERISATION 19
3 FEMALE URETHRAL CATHETERISATION 49
4 BOWEL CARE 57
5 TRACHEOSTOMY CARE 83
6 POINT-OF-CARE TRAINING 97
7 BLOOD TRANSFUSION 117
8 VENEPUNCTURE 133
9 PERIPHERAL CANNULATION 151
10 EARLY PATIENT ASSESSMENT AND RESPONSE 161
11 INTRAVENOUS THERAPY 173
12 BASIC LIFE SUPPORT 183
ANSWERS TO ACTIVITIES, QUESTIONS AND “TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE” 191
APPENDIX 1: THE BRISTOL OBSERVATION CHART 201