Rights Contact Login For More Details
More About This Title Introducing Christian Ethics
Introducing Christian Ethics 2e, now thoroughly revised and updated, offers an unparalleled introduction to the study of Christian Ethics, mapping and exploring all the major ethical approaches, and offering thoughtful insights into the complex moral challenges facing people today.
- This highly successful text has been thoughtfully updated, based on considerable feedback, to include increased material on Catholic perspectives, further case studies and the augmented use of introductions and summaries
- Uniquely redefines the field of Christian ethics along three strands: universal (ethics for anyone), subversive (ethics for the excluded), and ecclesial (ethics for the church)
- Encompasses Christian ethics in its entirety, offering students a substantial overview by re-mapping the field and exploring the differences in various ethical approaches
- Provides a successful balance between description, analysis, and critique
- Structured so that it can be used alongside a companion volume, Christian Ethics: An Introductory Reader, which further illustrates and amplifies the diversity of material and arguments explored here
Samuel Wells is Vicar of St Martin-in-the-Fields, and a widely-known theologian, preacher, pastor, writer, and broadcaster. He is also Visiting Professor of Christian Ethics at King's College, London. He has published 25 books, including Improvisation, God's Companions, and A Nazareth Manifesto. He edited the partner book to this volume, Christian Ethics: An Introductory Reader (Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010).
Ben Quash is Professor of Christianity and the Arts at King’s College London. He is the author of Theology and the Drama of History (2005), and is former Reviews Editor of Studies in Christian Ethics.
Rebekah Eklund is Assistant Professor of Theology at Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore, where she teaches theology, ethics, and Christian Scripture. She is the author of Jesus Wept: The Significance of Jesus' Laments in the New Testament (2015).
Part One The Story of Christian Ethics 3
1 The Story of God 5
2 The Story of the Church 34
3 The Story of Ethics 64
4 The Story of Christian Ethics 90
Part Two The Questions Christian Ethics Asks 123
5 Universal Ethics 127
6 Subversive Ethics 159
7 Ecclesial Ethics 200
Part Three The Questions Asked of Christian Ethics 233
8 Good Order 235
9 Good Life 270
10 Good Relationships 303
11 Good Beginnings and Endings 343
12 Good Earth 369
Glossary of Names 398
Glossary of Terms 409
Name Index 417
Subject Index 422