The History and Heritage of St James's Hospital, Dublin
× Information !
Rights Contact Login For More Details
- Independent Publishers Group
More About This Title The History and Heritage of St James's Hospital, Dublin
The history of St James’s Hospital stretches back to 1703 when an act was passed to build a workhouse on its site. Later a foundling hospital was added to the workhouse. When the Foundling Hospital was closed in 1829 the buildings were used to house the South Dublin Union Workhouse, which was commandeered during Easter Week 1916. After Independence, the South Dublin Union was renamed St Kevin’s Hospital, becoming a municipal hospital for the poor of the city. In 1971 three of the oldest voluntary hospitals in Dublin amalgamated with St Kevin’s to form St James’s Hospital. In little time, St James’s Hospital became the largest teaching hospital in Ireland. This book describes the history of these developments and their impact on Dublin.
A former consultant physician in St James Hospital and professor of medical gerontology, Davis Coakley is the author of several books. Mary Coakley has edited a number of books.